Newbie & capturing data

May 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM
On my production server I ran StartSQLDiagTrace.cmd for approximately 15 minutes. When I closed the capture process a new files was created that is approximately 14 GB. File name is servername_sp_sqldiag_Shutdown.OUT. There were a number of other files captured as well, all were moved to my non-production PC running SQL Nexus (this is a Win XP Pro, with SQL 2k5 Express - Advanced edition).
I opened SQL Nexus & clicked on Import; in the import dialog box I selected the folder containing this file. The process reported importing 3,657,438 records & inserted 208 rows to the database. (The other files from the capture are not in the same folder, but a subfolder. Is this a problem?)
When I tried to run the Bottleneck Analysis & Blocking and Wait Statistics reports they reported ' The database doesn't have necessary data to run this report.'
Considering only 208 rows were inserted to the database I can understand that there isn't sufficient data to run these reports. What have I missed?

Thanks,

Big Sam

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I have the same problem, did you find out the cause? Details:

• SQL Server 2005 SP3 32-bit
  • Windows Server 2003 R2
  • SQL Nexus 2.5.0.7
  • All 4 collection scripts tested with same results (NoTrace is actually a copy of the Trace script in this release!)
  • *_sp_sqldiag_Shutdown.OUT grows to ~3GB per minute
  • Import finds ~800000 lines in the above file, but only inserts ~138 rows
  • ReadTRace_Main report has no data

Thanks,

Kristian

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:36 AM

I also have the same problem as well and would really like it fixed.

I runs the StartSQLDiagTrace.cmd for 5 secs then close the collecter servername_sp_sqldiag_Shutdown.OUT. starts exploding it has never finished i have always had to cancel the collection window.

i called it quits at 50gig.

Any clues from any one....................i have run the same capture files on other servers with no problems

• SQL Server 2005 SP2 64-bit
  • Windows Server 2003 R2
  • SQL Nexus 2.5.0.7

Thanks

Luke