Trying to run SQLDiag on Vista

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:34 PM
When I try to run the PerfStatsScript cmd file "StartSQLDiagNoTrace.cmd" under Vista (32), it opens a command window for a split second, and then goes away. Editing the cmd file to remove the START command, I see that SQLDiag is producing an error:

"2008/01/05 13:28:29.65 SQLDIAG Your must be a member of the Administrators group to use this tool"

I've tried running in a command prompt opened "as Admininstrator", and also tried adding the /G option to the SQLDiag call:

(Runs SQLdiag in generic mode. When /G is specified, on startup SQLdiag does not enforce SQL Server connectivity checks or verify that the user is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role. Instead, SQLdiag defers to Windows to determine whether a user has the appropriate rights to gather each requested diagnostic.)

Also, I am in the Administrators group on my machine.

Any ideas on how to get SQLDiag working under Vista?
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:15 AM
Hmm... It should work as long as your account is a member of the administrators group and you're running cmd under elevated privileges. Try running this at your command prompt:

NET STOP "Task Scheduler"

If this returns an access denied error, the cmd window isn't truly elevated. If it works, try SQLDiag again and make sure that it is returning that same error (maybe it failed with some other error when you were running from an elevated cmd prompt?).

HTH!

johnlyn763 wrote:
When I try to run the PerfStatsScript cmd file "StartSQLDiagNoTrace.cmd" under Vista (32), it opens a command window for a split second, and then goes away. Editing the cmd file to remove the START command, I see that SQLDiag is producing an error:

"2008/01/05 13:28:29.65 SQLDIAG Your must be a member of the Administrators group to use this tool"

I've tried running in a command prompt opened "as Admininstrator", and also tried adding the /G option to the SQLDiag call:

(Runs SQLdiag in generic mode. When /G is specified, on startup SQLdiag does not enforce SQL Server connectivity checks or verify that the user is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role. Instead, SQLdiag defers to Windows to determine whether a user has the appropriate rights to gather each requested diagnostic.)

May 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM
I had the same issue. I ended up putting everything in a command file and running the file using "RUN AS Administrator" in XP.

Nick

johnlyn763 wrote: